Moving into the community: 10 tips for moving in
Moved into your new home? What next? Check out our 10 recommendations for moving in…
- Take meter readings and submit them to your energy provider or accommodation provider to avoid paying for the previous tenants’ usage. Find out more about looking after your bills here.
- Check how to turn off the gas, electrics and where the stopcock is in case of an emergency
- Take a look at the doors and window locks to check that they all work safely
- Familiarise yourself with fire exits and where the fire safety equipment is e.g. fire blankets, extinguisher
- Introduce yourself and say hello to your new neighbours. Find out more about being a good neighbour here.
- Find out when your bin collection dates are and where you will need to put your bins for collection (ask a neighbour or visit the Liverpool City Council website)
- Explore the area, find out where your local supermarket is, bus stop, GP and dentist
- Get into good habits of locking all doors and windows when leaving your home. Find out more about keeping your home safe and secure here.
- Set up a rota for cleaning/taking the bins out for collection with your housemates
- Be sure to know who to contact if you need support, advice or guidance
Check out this vlog from fellow students for more tips on moving into the community...
- Read Next
- Dover's International Fun Day Greenbank HSC Christmas Market Event Greenbank Christmas Movie Night Jingle Hall The Way 6 Winter Warmer recipes Making the most of winter in Liverpool Tips to prevent tailgating Advice by Abi: Managing the colder months Halls Table Tennis League NEW: Sport Equipment available to hire in Halls
- Halls Facebook Groups 2023/24 Halls Postal Address Items not permitted in Halls What to pack Mentally preparing for University Halls Life Activity Packs Travelling around the city and to Greenbank Liverpool's local must-see markets Join your Hall's Student Committee Shopping in Liverpool