Moving into the community: 10 tips for moving in
Moved into your new home? What next? Check out our 10 recommendations for moving in…
- Take meter readings and submit them to your energy provider or accommodation provider to avoid paying for the previous tenants’ usage. Find out more about looking after your bills here.
- Check how to turn off the gas, electrics and where the stopcock is in case of an emergency
- Take a look at the doors and window locks to check that they all work safely
- Familiarise yourself with fire exits and where the fire safety equipment is e.g. fire blankets, extinguisher
- Introduce yourself and say hello to your new neighbours. Find out more about being a good neighbour here.
- Find out when your bin collection dates are and where you will need to put your bins for collection (ask a neighbour or visit the Liverpool City Council website)
- Explore the area, find out where your local supermarket is, bus stop, GP and dentist
- Get into good habits of locking all doors and windows when leaving your home. Find out more about keeping your home safe and secure here.
- Set up a rota for cleaning/taking the bins out for collection with your housemates
- Be sure to know who to contact if you need support, advice or guidance
The Student Community Guide also has lots of helpful tips for settling in and keeping safe while living out in the community.
Check out this vlog from fellow students for more tips on moving into the community...
- Read Next
- Leaving Halls for the Spring Break Staying in Halls over Spring Break? Here's what's on... Spring Break Mixer Staying safe when out and about Resilience and Wellbeing Workshop Support available to you Weekly Wellbeing Gestures Top tips for making the most of second semester How to make your money go further on your food shop 5 wellbeing podcasts to give a try
- Everything you need to know about moving into Halls! Halls Facebook Groups 2022/23 What's in your room Halls Postal Address What to pack Understanding your room number Items not permitted in Halls Moving In - Top Tips Catering at Vine Court Travelling around the City and to Greenbank