Items not permitted in Halls
As part of your Accommodation License when you move in to halls, there are some rules you agree to regarding what you can and can’t have in your flat. These are all listed in your license document, but you can also see a reminder below.
Items not permitted in halls
- candles, incense sticks or do anything else which may constitute a fire hazard or require a naked flame
- electric heaters, paraffin heaters or gas heaters
- chip pans, rice cookers and deep fat fryers - do not use any method of cooking which involves “deep-fat” frying and do not leave any gas or electric cooking rings switched on and unattended;
- halogen bulbs or decorative mains-powered fairy lights (battery-operated are allowed)
- additional furniture (including items such as fridges, freezers, washing machines, rice cookers and portable cookers). Kettles and toasters are permitted, but must only be used in designated kitchens and subject to the University's Health & Safety Policy. If you need to keep medication refrigerated you are able to have one provided free of charge. You are not able to provide your own. Please contact the Accommodation Office or your Hall Manager via email to request one, contact details are here.
In addition to the above, students are asked not to:
- interfere with electrical wiring, sockets or equipment
- overload any electrical circuits by the use of too many electrical appliances, or the use of old block-style plug electrical adaptors
- put anything harmful or which is likely to cause blockage in any pipes or drains
- throw or drop anything whatsoever from windows or balconies of the Residence or any other part of the Property
- remove from, affix to, change, damage or attempt to repair the structure or decorative finish of any part of the Residence or the Contents
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the accommodation. There are designated smoking areas outside the halls.
- Read Next
- Leaving Halls for the Spring Break Staying in Halls over Spring Break? Here's what's on... Spring Break Mixer Staying safe when out and about Resilience and Wellbeing Workshop Support available to you Weekly Wellbeing Gestures Top tips for making the most of second semester How to make your money go further on your food shop 5 wellbeing podcasts to give a try
- Everything you need to know about moving into Halls! Halls Facebook Groups 2022/23 What's in your room Halls Postal Address What to pack Understanding your room number Items not permitted in Halls Moving In - Top Tips Catering at Vine Court Travelling around the City and to Greenbank