Shopping in Liverpool
If you get to Liverpool and realise you have forgotten something, don’t panic! Liverpool is well known for its shopping and you’ll have everything you need here.
Useful shops when you first arrive
You’ve checked in, explored your new home for the summer and unpacked... it’s time to stock up your cupboards! There are lots of supermarkets and local shops around campus and in the city centre. Here are some suggestions of local shops to get you started:
Small, convenient supermarkets selling fresh food on campus
Larger supermarkets near to campus
- Aldi (15-minute walk from campus)
- Lidl (15-minute walk from campus)
- Tesco superstore (15-minute walk from campus) or Tesco superstore in the city centre (20 to 25-minute walk from campus)
The smaller convenient shops can be more expensive but are useful for your first few days of arriving and for stocking up on essentials. Supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl are the cheaper options and more budget friendly.
You can also order an online food shop directly to your Hall from ASDA, Tesco, Sainsbury’s which are all well-known supermarkets in UK. It’s important that you put the correct delivery address on your order. See your Hall’s handbook for the correct delivery address.
Shops where you can buy homeware, toiletries, stationary
The city centre and Liverpool One is home to a range of high-end shops to more budget friendly shops. Home Bargains and B&M are cheaper options for buying homeware, toiletries and stationary whereas John Lewis is a larger, department store which stocks more household items but can be more expensive in cost. You will find lots of shops selling homeware and toiletries in Liverpool One and the city centre but here are some suggestions to get you started:
- B&M (20-minute walk from campus)
- John Lewis (in Liverpool One, 25-minute walk from campus)
- Ryman Stationary (on campus, Brownlow Hill)
General shopping in Liverpool
Now that you’re settling into the city, it’s time to explore what Liverpool’s shopping scene has to offer.
- Liverpool One is the main shopping experience with over 170 retail shops
- Albert Dock has lots of shops which are more suited for buying souvenirs and gifts
- Red Brick Market is perfect for anyone who likes to shop vintage
- Bold Street has lots of local, independent and vintage shops on offer
- Lark Lane is home to some of Liverpool’s independent shops, bars and restaurants
- Read Next
- Halls Life Baking Competition! Halls Pizza Mixer Coffee & Crafts Wellbeing Monthly Newsletter Scouse & Sip: Quiz questions & answers Halls Sports Activator applications open! One quick click to insure your contents Sustainable menstrual cups in Halls HSC Welcome Meetings Halls Life Activity Packs
- Everything you need to know about moving into Halls Halls Facebook Groups 2023/24 What's in your room Understanding your room number Halls Postal Address Items not permitted in Halls What to pack Mentally preparing for University Travelling around the city and to Greenbank Blog: What to pack/not pack for your year in Halls!