Winter Warmer Recipe: Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
It doesn't get much better than a Spaghetti Bolognese to warm you up on these gloomy January evenings. Our recipe below is completely vegan and serves 6, so it's perfect for coming together for a flat meal!
- 500g spaghetti (vegan option here)
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g mushrooms, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 carrot, grated and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Basil leaves (optional)
- Vegan Cheese (optional, recommendations here)
- In a frying pan heat the olive oil and gently fry the mushrooms until golden. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat some more olive oil and fry the onions with the garlic until soft. Add the carrots and celery for a few minutes and then stir in the tomato purée, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Finally, add the mushrooms back in the pan along with the chopped tomatoes and the vegetable stock.
- Close the lid and bring to a simmer. Leave to cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta according to pack instructions, drain and drizzle with some olive oil.
- Serve the pasta with the bolognese and add basil leaves and grated vegan cheese to taste.
- Read Next
- Leaving Halls for the Spring Break Staying in Halls over Spring Break? Here's what's on... Spring Break Mixer Staying safe when out and about Resilience and Wellbeing Workshop Support available to you Weekly Wellbeing Gestures Top tips for making the most of second semester How to make your money go further on your food shop 5 wellbeing podcasts to give a try
- Everything you need to know about moving into Halls! Halls Facebook Groups 2022/23 What's in your room Halls Postal Address What to pack Understanding your room number Items not permitted in Halls Moving In - Top Tips Catering at Vine Court Travelling around the City and to Greenbank