Top tips for moving in
It's pretty exciting moving somewhere new but we know that there is so much to think about. Here are our top tips for what to plan and pack for your first week and beyond...
Preparing to come to Halls…
- Complete your online induction before you arrive - this will be emailed to you directly and includes information on everything from fire safety to what to do on move in day
- Don’t over-pack! Make a list of the basics you’ll need and remember there are plenty of shops in Liverpool. Check out our handy what to pack list. Also familiarise yourself with what items are not permitted in Halls.
- Don't worry if you forget something or simply haven't got enough room to carry everything. The more items you bring, the more you have to unload, store and pack up again at the end of the year. Bring the essentials and remember that you can buy anything else you need while you're here. It might even be worth seeing what items your flatmates might want to share and buy together to split the cost!
- Bring photos and any other favourite home comforts to decorate your new home but be sure to leave room for photos of new memories you're about to make too
- If you are travelling from abroad, do not forget important documentation e.g. your visa or your offer letter. Please see the UK Visa and Immigration web pages for further information
- Familiarise yourself with your room number before arriving (you will find this on your accommodation license). Click here for guide to understanding your room number.
- Click here for more information on what to expect from your room
- We appreciate that there’s lots to think about before moving. Take a look at our advice on mentally preparing for moving away to University
The day has arrived… you’re moving in!
On arrival, your friendly reception team and Here to Help Helpers will assist you with checking in. Don't be afraid to ask for help as there will be so many questions on those first few days of arriving. Here to Help Helpers will be on hand as well as the Halls teams. Here to Help Helpers have lived in Halls before and will have all the answers to your questions.
- There are supermarkets in walking distance of campus such as Tesco Liverpool One and Aldi St Johns. You will also find smaller food shops located around campus which will be very helpful in the first few days of arrival.
- Staying in Greenbank? Your nearest supermarket is ASDA on Smithdown Road. You can also find a small Tesco within 5 minutes walk at the top of Greenbank Road.
- There are lots of places to eat and drink on campus too - find out more here
- Get involved and say Hello! Even if you're feeling nervous remember that lots of others students will be in the same boat.
- Get out and about! Once you've met your flatmates it's great to go out and explore. There's loads of places to visit, check out our Exploring Liverpool recommendations here.
- Need to order something to Halls? Find your postal address in your handbook here.
Once you've moved in
- If you haven’t already, make sure you follow us on Instagram @livunihalls and join your Hall's Facebook group to stay up to date throughout the semester.
- Make time for some admin. We'd recommend using the University's Welcome pages as a guide to what to make sure you've done! Also, sign up to a doctors and scope out the library.
- Make time to explore your local area, and also be mindful of representing the University at all times
- Get involved in life in halls - a great way to meet new people! Follow us on socials, check out your weekly email and our Halls Life page for the latest events, activities and opportunities to meet new people and get stuck in!
- Read Next
- Halls Life Baking Competition! Halls Pizza Mixer Coffee & Crafts Wellbeing Monthly Newsletter Scouse & Sip: Quiz questions & answers Halls Sports Activator applications open! One quick click to insure your contents Sustainable menstrual cups in Halls HSC Welcome Meetings Halls Life Activity Packs
- Everything you need to know about moving into Halls Halls Facebook Groups 2023/24 What's in your room Understanding your room number Halls Postal Address Items not permitted in Halls What to pack Mentally preparing for University Travelling around the city and to Greenbank Blog: What to pack/not pack for your year in Halls!