Hearty Pasta Bake
This pasta bake recipe is ideal for a hearty evening meal with little fuss and preparation. A bake is a perfect dish to cook and share with flatmates or the leftovers can make a quick, easy lunch the next day, giving you one less thing to think about!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red or white onion (cut into chunks)
- 1 red or yellow pepper (cut into chunks)
- 1 courgette (cut into chunks)
- Handful of spinach
- 4 tbsp of red or green pesto
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves or substitute with garlic seasoning
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 100g of pasta (pick your preferred shape!)
- 50g cheddar or mozzarella (your choice!)
- Salt and pepper
You will also need:
- Flameproof casserole dish - don’t worry if you don’t have this, you can use a large frying pan or wok to initially cook the ingredients in before adding to a baking dish to cook in the oven
- Tin foil
- Baking dish
- Preheat your oven to 200C/ 180 Fan/ Gas 6.
- Add the oil to a pan and once heated, put in your onion, pepper, courgette (and/or any other vegetables you choose to add) and fry for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables start to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute, then add your red or green pesto to the vegetables.
- Pour the tinned tomatoes into the pan. Fill the empty tin with water and add this to the vegetables. Add the oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Add your pasta to the rest of the ingredients and allow it to simmer. While you wait for it to simmer, give it a good stir.
- If you are using a casserole dish, cover it with tinfoil and add to the oven for 20 minutes. If you are using a large pan/wok, tip the contents into a baking dish and cover with foil before putting into the oven.
- After 20 minutes, add your spinach and give the bake a good stir. Then add your cheese and return to the oven without the tin foil for a further few minutes to allow it to melt.
You can swap and change any of the vegetables for anything you have in the fridge already. Why not try aubergine, mushrooms, cauliflower or broccoli. To make this recipe non-vegetarian, add chicken or any meat of your choice.
- Read Next
- Leaving Halls for the Spring Break Staying in Halls over Spring Break? Here's what's on... Spring Break Mixer Staying safe when out and about Resilience and Wellbeing Workshop Support available to you Weekly Wellbeing Gestures Top tips for making the most of second semester How to make your money go further on your food shop 5 wellbeing podcasts to give a try
- Everything you need to know about moving into Halls! Halls Facebook Groups 2022/23 What's in your room Halls Postal Address What to pack Understanding your room number Items not permitted in Halls Moving In - Top Tips Catering at Vine Court Travelling around the City and to Greenbank